Prerequesites: None, although some water experience is recommended. If you are unsure about which PFI course is best for your level, email us with any questions and we will get you sorted out.
- Perfect For:
- Becoming a safe freediver
- Learning both competitive and spearfishing diving techniques
- Getting deeper
- Developing vital skills for both freediving and spearfishing
- Improving your static or dynamic skills
- Learning to better manage your air while SCUBA diving
- Becoming more comfortable in the water
- Sample Schedule:
- Day 1 classroom 9:00am-1:00pm, confined water 2:00pm-5:30pm
- Day 2 confined water 9:00am-11:00am, classroom 12:00pm-5:30pm
- Day 3 open water 9:00am-3:00pm
- Day 4 open water 9:00am-12:00pm
- Schedule may vary depending on boat cost and conditions at specific locations
- Open water sessions for most classes taught out of Wilmington, NC will be held at Mystery Lake Scuba Park, a deep quarry in Wendell, NC. Quarry fee $20/day. Additional fee applies to charters if weather permits.
Recommendations: We do not encourage people to purchase a new set of freedive gear for this course as we will discuss proper freediving gear at length in class. Bring whatever you already have, whether it’s Scuba gear, freedive gear, snorkel gear, or backyard swimming pool gear. Though freedive specific gear will best suit the maximum depth allowance for this course, it is not necessary for successful completion.
- Required Gear:
- wetsuit (3mm in NC, variable in other locations)
- weight belt/weights
- timing device (dive computer or cheapo watch with stopwatch)
Gear rental is available through both Evolve Freediving and Reef Runner Dive and Spearfishing. An opportunity to procure all needed gear will be offered during our Saturday session.
We also recommend you bring a bathing suit, towel and writing utensil for the lectures.